Sunday, March 02, 2014

A Potluck Pleaser: Jiffy's Spoon Bread Casserole


When my sister sent me this Jiffy's Spoon Bread Casserole recipe and raved to me about how popular it was at potlucks, I decided to give it a try. This past weekend, I made it as a side dish for 10 hungry adults at a bible study and wondered if people liked it.

The bread casserole had the texture of a firm bread pudding and a mild corn sweetness that could complement any main dish.

In short, people LOVED the dish!

a Potluck dish that is sure to please: Jiffy's Spoon Bread Casserole
I took a (quick and blurry) photo of the last square piece before it was all gone!
I couldn't believe how easy it was to make it and how delicious it was for everyone at the table. I served the dish warm and it was eaten up so fast (maybe the better word is "gobbled") that I wasn't able to take a photo of the entire dish. 

Admittedly, I didn't expect this dish of butter, corn, sour cream, eggs and Jiffy's corn mix to be a crowd pleaser. The casserole involved simple ingredients with a simple process. In fact, most of the ingredients are mixed right into the baking dish!
A Potluck favorite -- the ingredients of Jiffy's Spoon Bread Casserole Bible Study Fellowship Women's Group

Ingredients for Jiffy's Spoon Bread Casserole

I would also say that the other perk of making this dish was how much money I spent on ingredients. Although I didn't have to buy eggs or butter, everything else cost a dollar or less. The 8.5 oz box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix was definitely less than a dollar at my grocery store. The cans of corn were each a dollar. And so was the low-fat sour cream (I took a trip to the 99 Cent Only Store). Feeding a group of people for under $5? That sold me!

Did it make our cookbook? Well I guess this dish is going in our family cookbook under "potlucks" and maybe as a side dish for chili. Although I won't be serving it every week (since we've got other traditional dishes), it's definitely a good go-to dish that's fast to make and sure to please.

Below is the original recipe (with some notes from me). 

You can find more recipes on the Jiffy site.    

Jiffy's Spoon Bread Casserole
(traditionally serves 6-8, but for me it made at least 10 people happy and full)

Ingredients
1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 can (8-3/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained  (or grab some from a frozen bag you may have)
1 can (8 1/2 oz) cream style corn  
1 cup sour cream (I used low-fat)
2 eggs

Directions
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish (I used a 9 x 13 and it worked out fine). Pour melted margarine or butter and corn into prepared dish. Blend in sour cream. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and stir into casserole. Add muffin mix. Blend thoroughly. Bake 35-40 minutes or until center is firm.


It's YOUR turn:

What potluck dishes do you enjoy making? What didn't work?  Let me know, maybe we can swap more recipes!

If you need a new recipe, update your cookbooks this week with this yummy dish! 




No comments:

Post a Comment