Saturday, January 18, 2014

Boost Your Energy With a Banana Kale Smoothie

You will need bananas, kale, ice, and almond milk to make this smoothie.
A banana kale smoothie is a perfect afternoon pick-me-up for any tired moms.

Even after a big  breakfast, a toddler can wear me down by mid-afternoon. A smoothie is my attempt at getting my nutrition on-the-go.

You too can beat the afternoon lulls by drinking this easy-to-make banana kale smoothie. 

Specific Benefits of Making Banana-Kale Smoothies
  • It's easy. It's simple with 3 ingredients!
  • It's a delicious snack. I have to eat snacks throughout the day (in addition to drinking water) to keep my energy levels up. This smoothie is a refreshing pick-me-up.
  • Sometimes it's a lunch substitute. I try not to skip lunch, but if I do, this smoothie becomes my replacement.
  • I hope my son will one day drink it. My son watches me with curiosity and is close to drinking it and reaping from it's healthy benefits (especially because he has avoided green foods lately).
  • It's nutritious. I don't eat Kale every day, but it is generally considered super food for you. It's nutrient content includes protein, vitamins, and antioxidants. I'm still trying to find ways of incorporating it in my meals because it is in season (and cheaper) during the winter. In fact, my cousin, who is a mom of two, hides it in her marinara sauce (why didn't I think of that?).
  • Easy clean-up. Clean up is also simple: blend-pour-rinse!
  • Benefits my skin.  Every now and then I get eczema flare-ups. This is a dairy and egg-free solution and is easy on my skin.

Banana-Kale Smoothie

Ingredients
  • 1 Banana
  • 1-2 pieces of kale leaves
  • 1 cup of Almond Milk
  •  Ice
Ingredients for a banana kale smoothie include ice, banana, kale and almond milk.
Banana Kale Smoothie - Ingredients

Directions
Throw it all in and blend!  Enjoy!

By the way, we have a Blendtec at home.  I use the "smoothie" button to make the drink and I typically followup with "pulse" if I want to add more liquid or if I decide to throw in some blueberries or more ice.  

Optional goodies: throw in a handful of frozen blueberries or some sliced up avocado.  If you want a touch more of sweet, add some honey. Add flaxseed for extra fiber.

What other smoothies can you make with Kale? If you come up with any new ideas, let me know, I'd love to swap more smoothie recipes with you.


1 comment: